How the levels of progesterone affect the hormonal balance in the body of a woman? What is the main cause of low levels of progesterone and how to increase its production? Can you improve your hormonal balance with food? If yes, which foods to eat to increase your progesterone levels? Why do thyroid issues occur more and more often and how they are linked to the levels of the reproductive hormones like estrogen and progesterone? What other methods can you use that are safe and effective?
The Importance of Progesterone
The production of progesterone plays a key role for the health of a female body. It is an essential hormone regulating the cycle of the woman. If you want to get pregnant, progesterone will prepare the wall of the uterus for the fertilized egg to embed. After the ovulation, if conception did not occur, the progesterone levels drop and menstruation begins. Low levels of progesterone are linked to symptoms like irregular and heavy periods, severe PMS, cellulite, mood swings, water retention and problems conceiving. While the main cause for low progesterone is estrogen dominance, it leads to other hormonal issues like thyroid problems, low levels of luteinizing and follicle stimulating hormones.
Why my progesterone is too low?
The cause of low progesterone is complex. It happens slowly but then is hard to restore the balance. Nowadays more and more women of different ages experience low progesterone. The main factor is estrogen dominance.There are two main causes of high estrogen and these are stress and liver malfunction. Too many stressful situation and you might find yourself in distress. This means that your body constantly produces cortisol. The production of any hormone takes energy, so when the body prioritizes cortisol, the reproductive hormones like progesterone are put on hold. Unlike progesterone which is mainly produced in the ovaries, estrogen is produced also by other organs and even in the fat cells. Great quantities of it are coming also from the outside with food and water – meat with hormones, hormone replacement therapy and plastic. Plastic containers, especially the one-time-use ones contain xenoestrogens. They mimic the estrogen but it is even harder for the liver to eliminate them, so they are stay in the body. When the liver cannot keep up with the estrogen elimination, the condition called estrogen dominance is formed.
How to Boost the Levels of Progesterone
So, how to increase the levels of progesterone? First of all, try managing the feeling of distress as it disrupts the hormonal balance. Then check your diet and make the necessary changes. Support the work of your liver and start a healing protocol as it is the place where the excess estrogen is eliminated. A very effective way to do this is to apply a low level laser therapy like coMra. The coMra therapy is an effective and pleasant way to restore the hormonal balance if you experience health issues like estrogen dominance, thyroid issues or diabetes. It is also very important when we speak about progesterone, to avoid over-exercising, sleepless nights and drastic diets and fasting. Every extreme is perceived by the body as stress and the cortisol production becomes a priority. This may result in cutting the production of reproductive hormones like progesterone.
Foods That Increase Progesterone
Changing your diet is a great way to increase your progesterone levels. While foods themselves do not contain progesterone, some vitamins, minerals, herb and foods can promote the production of it.
- Maca. This is a very powerful adaptogen root from South America. This means that maca will adapt to the needs of your body and is often used to promote hormonal balance. Some researches show that women who consume maca on a regular basis have increased levels of progesterone after several months. It also tastes good and will give you additional energy. You can add it to smoothies or take it as a supplement.
- Wild yam. The Mexican wild yam is a plant that contain a substance which is used by the body to produce more progesterone. In fact, this root is used in many herbal supplements made to support hormonal balance. In addition, you can apply it in the form of a cream on the skin. As herbs are gentle to the body, it can take several months to a year to maintain the hormonal balance if you count only on herbs.
- Evening Primrose Oil. In order to avoid PMS and other side effects of estrogen dominance during the second half of your monthly cycle, you can take evening primrose oil supplement. The fat component in it promotes progesterone production and many women have seen good results in a few months, according to researchers. Try to find a good quality evening primrose oil and take it every night before sleep.
- Fish and seafood. While zinc is the mineral that is vital for the production of progesterone, you need to eat enough foods that contain it. Fish and seafood like shellfish, prawns and mussels contain zinc, so try to include them in your weekly menu. Fish also will provide a good amount of Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B6 which are also important for the hormonal balance.
- Pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Pumpkin seeds are another good source of zinc, good fat and other minerals. To experience the best result, eat them raw as you can soak them overnight to activate them and to get rid of the inhibitors in them. This relates to almost all of the nuts and seeds. Sunflower seeds are also a very good food as they contain vitamin E and Omega 6-9 fatty acids.
- Fruits and Vegetables. The human body needs a good amount of Vitamin C every day to be able to maintain balance and health. The best source of it are the fresh fruits and vegetables and you need to eat a good amount of them daily. Try to incorporate more leafy greens, cabbage, paprika and more fresh veggies in your diet to increase the Vitamin C intake.
- Raw Nuts. Almonds, cashews and brazil nuts are a great source of good fat and they contain lots of magnesium too. This mineral is vital for the nervous system and the muscles, it also helps the metabolism of calcium and vitamin D. Avocados are delicious and also a great source of good fat that can help you regulate your hormones, so try to eat one every day.
- Dark Chocolate. Almost one third of the women worldwide suffer from magnesium deficiency, another great source of it is the raw cacao. Cacao is a superfood, many people who drink raw cacao experience heart opening and high energy. In order to avoid the sugar in milk chocolate, just replace it with dark chocolate and consume it in moderation.
- Vitex and Black Cohosh. Some herbs also have the power to promote hormonal balance and you can take them like supplements or infusions. Vitex (Vitex agnus-castus) and Black Cohosh (Actaea racemosa) are among the herbs that are used to fix the deficiency of progesterone, especially in the period of menopause and perimenopause promoting a healthy reproductive system.
- B Vitamins. There are vitamins essential for the female hormonal balance. These vitamins are from the B family. To promote efficient levels of progesterone in the body, you will need to have good levels of vitamin B6, B9 and B12. In many cases, B12 is at a critical level in the body. While the cause of hormonal imbalance is complex, you need to check all the possibilities of what might have been the reason for it.
There are some foods and herbs that you need to avoid as they either decrease progesterone or block its production. Find out more here:
Have you tried other ways to restore hormonal balance?
As it was mentioned above there is a very effective way to support your body healing from a hormonal imbalance. The coMra therapy combined with the diet and lifestyle changes can be quite beneficial. Even used on its own, coMra is very effective in restoring overall health. It provides the needed energy for the body to start a healing process. In many health cases, when using medications is not appropriate, low level laser therapy shows great results. The hormonal imbalance is one of these cases, as the more synthetic hormones you put into the system of your body, the more the inner balance is thrown off. To start using coMra, first search your health issue coMra User Guide. If you can find it, start applying the treatment protocol. If you do not find it, start with coMra Universal Treatment 5 and the other Universal treatment protocols depending on your specific case.
The procedure itself is very pleasant, there is no burning or any other sensation while the device is on your skin. After a week or two of daily treatments, you will start seeing the improvement. However, every case is different and how much time it will take for your body to recover depends to what is your health condition right now. Overall, hundreds of people have achieved great health results after using coMra even with serious cases like diabetes, chronic illnesses, thyroid issues and many more. In addition, coMra can be used as a pain relief, a great prevention method and every time when you need to induce the healing abilities of your body.
If you are reading this article because you want to get pregnant soon but your progesterone levels are too low, we feel you. And we really want you to experience the joy of having a baby. We have good news for you – coMra therapy can be used by pregnant women and is safe for their babies as well. Below you can watch a short video on how coMra is used before and after birth.
Natasha Stadler has been a midwife for 30 years, and an independent midwife for 13 of those years. She was introduced to coMra therapy 7 years ago and has found it to be an invaluable tool for her clients.
Watch another story shared with an open heart and a smile:
Meret has been using coMra therapy for many years. As many other coMra users, she found that coMra therapy is not only very safe but also that coMra is effective for various cases and conditions. She used it for her daughter’s herpes, her own thyroid issues and migraines with great results.